Everything you need to know ahead of Saturday’s (18:30 CEST) home game against FC Schalke 04.
- The opening game of the new season isn’t yet sold out, with tickets still available in the south and west stands.
- “Die Seele brennt” will be played as the players walk out this season, with “Die Elf vom Niederrhein” coming on just before the line-ups are announced.
- It will be the 93rd meeting in the Bundesliga between the two sides. The Foals have 38 wins to their name, while Schalke have won on 27 occasions. There have also been 27 draws.
- This will be the ninth time the two sides will face off on the opening matchday of a Bundesliga campaign – no other fixture has taken place on MD1 more frequently.
- FC Schalke 04 have failed to win any of their last seven competitive meetings with Gladbach (4 draws, 3 defeats) – their worst run in the history of this fixture.
- Borussia have only lost one of their last 13 home games against S04 in all competitions. Schalke’s last victory came on 3rd May 2013 (1-0).
- Borussia won each of their first nine home Bundesliga games of last season for the first time ever, but then failed to win any of their next eight matches in BORUSSIA-PARK (3 draws, 5 defeats).
- Gladbach coach Marco Rose, who won the Austrian Bundesliga in both seasons at RB Salzburg, has never lost a competitive fixture at home as a head coach (42 wins, 10 draws).
- New Foal Breel Embolo played for Schalke between 2016 and 2019, scoring ten goals in 48 Bundesliga outings.
- After losing 2-1 on the opening day in Wolfsburg, S04 went on to lose each of their first five Bundesliga matches last season.
- Schalke coach David Wagner won the UEFA Cup in 1997 with them as a player, and alongside Marco Rose, is one of eight coaches to start the Bundesliga season without any previous managerial experience in the division – this has only ever happened before in the founding season in 1963/64.
- The game will be officiated by Dr. Felix Brych. The 43-year-old has been active in the Bundesliga since 2004 and has taken charge of 265 top-level games so far.
- As usual, you can keep up-to-date with the game on our English-language social-media channels: Facebook and Twitter.
- You can follow the game on social media using the hashtag #BMGS04.