Everything you need to know ahead of Friday’s opening match of the Rückrunde away against FC Schalke 04 (20:30 CET).
- The VELTINS-Arena auf Schalke is sold out for the match against the Foals (62,271 spectators). Borussia will be cheered on by more than 6,000 fans that will make the trip to Gelsenkirchen.
- This will be the 94th meeting between Schalke and Borussia, with the record tilted in favour of the Foals with 38 wins, 28 draws and 27 losses.
- For the ninth time, Schalke and Gladbach will play the opening match of a Bundesliga Rückrunde. No other fixture has been played as often on Matchday 18.
- The Foals are unbeaten in their last six Bundesliga matches against Schalke (W3, D3). Borussia last had a longer unbeaten run against the Royal Blues from 1970 to 1973 (8 games).
- Last Bundesliga season, Schalke lost 2-0 at home to Borussia. For the first time in over 32 years, the Royal Blues could suffer defeat in two consecutive home games against Borussia (most recently in 1986/87 and 1987/88).
- Borussia last had most points to their name at this stage in their title-winning seasons in 1969/70 and 1976/77 (both 39 points, converted to three-points-per-win), than they do currently (35 points).
- Gladbach kept a clean sheet in each of their last two Bundesliga matches. They last managed this at the start of the Rückrunde last season, when the Foals went three matches in a row without conceding.
- Borussia are without a win in their last three away games (D1, L2). They last went more than three away matches without picking up a win within a single season at the end of 2017/18 (5 games).
- Schalke won eight games in the Hinrunde, equalling the number of victories they picked up across the whole of last season.
- Under head coach David Wagner, the Royal Blues lost just one of their nine Bundesliga home games. Schalke are unbeaten in their last eight top-flight matches in Gelsenkirchen, but have drawn four of their last six home games.
- Five Schalke players appeared in all 17 Bundesliga matches during the Hinrunde: Omar Mascarell, Amine Harit, Bastian Oczipka, Jonjoe Kenny and Daniel Caligiuri – more than for any other side.
- Schalke (currently in fifth place) gave away six penalties during the Hinrunde – more than any other Bundesliga side, and as many as they conceded during the whole of last season.
- FIFA referee Denis Aytekin from Oberasbach will take charge of the match. The 41-year-old economist has been officiating Bundesliga matches since 2008.
- Aytekin has taken charge of 170 Bundesliga matches, with 22 of them featuring the Foals (most recently during Borussia’s 1-0 derby win over Köln on MD4 of this season. Gladbach have won 11 times, drawn four and lost seven times in these matches.
- The linesmen for the match will be Christian Dietz and Eduard Beitinger. The fourth official will be Christian Dingert, with Güter Perl and Tobias Christ as the video assistant referees.